Meeting — July 29, 2020
- Attendees from last week: Salt, wolftune, smichel, msiep, mray, alignwaivers, Adriot
- Attendees (current): msiep, Salt, smichel, wolftune , Adroit
Discourse (over past week):
- Signups: 1 -> 0
- New Topics: 4 -> 1
- Posts: 29 -> 20
- DAU/MAU: 35% -> 31%
Snowdrift patrons: 123
2. Review previous meeting feedback
- wolftune: I appreciate timeboxes. Felt good that I’ve made progress between meetings
- adroit: regret missing first part, happy to see we’re tackling the roadmap
salt: thanks for all being here, timeboxing feels good. Need to think how to fix mray’s issue cause we want him here.
- TODO: Figure out how to respond when someone has connection issues
- msiep: appreciate hearing the things being worked out
- alignwaivers: roadmap is messy but also figuring out the process, +1 to timeboxing
smichel: I like that we can all argue and not have drama / hold grudges, great team
3. Last meeting next-steps review
formal invite to adroit
- NEXT STEPS (wolftune + alignwaivers + adroit): onboard adroit and document steps taken [CAPTURED] https://gitlab.com/snowdrift/governance/-/issues/70
Weekly meeting day/time
- NEXT STEPS (alignwaivers + smichel): update lists forms, posts with the meeting times Wednesday 1PST, Fri 1PST [DONE, I think]
Reaching out to potential funding sources (Salt)
- NEXT STEP (alignwaivers + Salt): draft email
- NEXT STEP (smichel): Capture updated roadmap at https://wiki.snowdrift.coop/planning [DONE]
- NEXT STEP (smichel): Clean up roadmap planning etherpad https://snowdrift.sylphs.net/pad/p/roadmap [DONE-ish]
- NEXT STEP (smichel): Have 1:1s (post-regular-meeting) to claim items for Q3.2 [Hopefully after Jul 29 meeting]
- NEXT STEP (smichel): Ask chreekat if he’ll take point on OSUOSL transition [DROPPED]
4. Current Agenda
(carry forward) Reaching out to potential funding sources (Salt)
- Salt: This isn’t a priority for me right now / I can’t be the point person on it. I can help, but can someone else take it?
- NEXT STEP (wolftune): Follow up with alignwaivers re: draft email
Crowdmatching mechanism update (wolftune)
- wolftune: I want to give an initial update and maybe some open discussion. No concrete goal, jsut update.
- wolftune: Focus with mozilla lead to thoughts about framing and discussion about potential mechanism shifts.
- wolftune: I’m optimistic about them
- wolftune: Goal is to consolidate our thoughts, share with others clearly/consicely instead of wasting time sharing full discussion.
- wolftune: Core issue: People not intuitively understanding “more patrons => more $$”. Believe this is related to open-ended-ness.
- wolftune: Simplest version of new update: State goal up front (say, 10k patrons, $100k), after which matching turns off. Resolves lots of tensions around budget limits.
- wolftune: Just stating the goal makes messaging much clearer.
- wolftune: Option for multiple goals / milestones to balance ambitious and modest goals.
- Adroit: I’m not totally clear on what the proposal is – getting rid of matching? It seems important for the success of the platform…
- wolftune: It’s not a proposal at this point, just brainstorming.
- wolftune: Core part of matching stays intact
- Adroit: Isn’t there a problem of no more incentive to donate once a project hits their goal?
- msiep: If the crowd drops below the goal, crowdmatching kicks back in.
- msiep: Getting to the goal doesn’t create an incentive to drop out. The original motivation is: “I’m willing to donate, but only if a bunch of other people do to.” Getting to the goal is basically that happening.
- Salt: I don’t think I want to get into the details for this meeting. I’m happy that we’re staying open to discussion like this but not yet convinced.
- wolftune: If a project has a goal after which crowdmatching turns off, there is an effective limit per project, so budget limit is no longer needed.
- smichel: this is just the smallest of several tweaks that are possible
- NEXT STEP (wolftune): lead asynch work on clear criteria list for the model,
5. Open discussion
6. meeting evaluation / feedback / suggestions / appreciations round
- Adroit: appreciations of finishing early, also uncomfortable with wondering if we got to everything
- smichel: Happy it was fast
- Salt: Happy everyone’s still here, ??? robert, would like to have a way to move through open discussion
- wolftune: Missing a few people, first time at the new time but we should figure out why alignwaivers & mray aren’t here