Meeting — June 26th, 2020
Attendees from last week: wolftune, Adroit, msiep, smichel
Attendees (current): wolftune, smichel, alignwaivers, mray, Salt, msiep
Discourse (over past week):
Signups: 0 -> 0
New Topics: 3 -> 4
Posts: 10 -> 13
DAU/MAU: 27% -> 32%
Snowdrift patrons: 121
Reminders on best-practice meeting habits
Review previous meeting notes especially when absent!
“NEXT STEPS” should be clear and actionable for assignee (who should double-check this for themselves)
Use chat in etherpad (and add your name)
call for a round (“pass the mic” style, facilitator makes sure no one is skipped)
“o/” or “/” means you have something to say and puts you in the queue
“c/” or “?” means you have a clarifying question and jumps you to the top of the queue
“d” means thumbs up, encouragement, agreement, etc.
“>” means you understand someone’s point, please move on
“d>” indicates feeling complete on an agenda item, ready to move on to
timebox each topic, rounded to nearest 5min., settled during agenda confirmation
at topic beginning, convert the :mm to expected end time
at timebox end, “thumb polls” may add 5 minutes at a time
“^” approve, extend the timebox
“v” disagree, move onto the next topic
Facilitation by topic
- Each topic facilitated by topic lead with main facilitator help
“???” in notes means something missed, please help capturing what was said
aim for shorthand / summary / key points (not transcript)
Review previous meeting feedback
adroit: Felt meeting was slow to start (lots of dead air), then got going later. Maybe to do with number of people here?
smichel: Please remove authorship colors from pad meta-information. Get to point faster, Aaron — what is the topic, define it at the start; missed Salt for facilitation. Notetaking easiest for people not actively talking (so I took over when msiep was engaging otherwise)
msiep: thanks for helping w/ note-taking (maybe should have backup note-taker?), agreed on other counts, timeboxing is helpful
wolftune: I had push-to-talk issues, should consider changing that setting; I used sand-timers on my desk, just getting into the habit of using them. It’s nice to have an actual time-keeper (person) — I (unofficially) held that role today. I noticed I made formal topic for what could have instead been better as open-discussion, maybe we should consider noting less-defined tensions or topics as for open-discussion so that we purposely take less agenda time and thus have open-discussion where those items can be brought up casually (of course, no expectation of necessarily getting to them)
Last meeting next-steps review
Tracking work on highest-level concepts / pitches etc.
- NEXT STEP (wolftune): Post something on the forum about the tax framing
(Lack of) team responsiveness on the forum
NEXT STEP (wolftune): Capture: Consent process doesn’t currently have a way to say “I don’t have time to express my objection but I’m not consenting” [DONE]
NEXT STEP (wolftune): Close “participate in consent decisions” on the forum as not accepted [DONE]
NEXT STEP (wolftune): Check in with others on 1:1 basis to ask why they didn’t respond to @team mentions [CAPTURED]
Meeting time into summer
- NEXT STEP (smichel): Ask people to update their availability for summer once it’s known [DONE]
Consider updates to current roadmap phase: governance roles? pitch / how-it-works update plans?
- NEXT STEP (msiep): Add how-it-works update to the roadmap https://wiki.snowdrift.coop/planning in some fashion [DONE]
Fundraising, needs, clarity, working-in-the-zone
- NEXT STEP (wolftune): Write out more concrete plan for specifc goals of one-on-ones to answer these questions, then do one-on-ones. [CAPTURED]
Smichel’s next week focused on Snowdrift
- NEXT STEP (smichel): Post this on forum so others can see this & respond [DONE]
quick note on meetings (smichel)
smichel: The goal is, I’d like to start meetings on time. To facilitate this, I’d like if we all joined mumble a few minutes before the official start. But people shouldn’t be expected to talk before the actual start.
smichel: I made the “Waiting Room” room in mumble. Everyone will be automatically muted when they join; also everyone can mute/unmute themselves (or others)
smichel: This way, you can join and go to the waiting room, until the actual meeting start time.
Salt: I like the idea, but sometimes I can’t do that — eg, last quarter, I had a meeting that ended right as this one started.
wolftune: it’s about clarity on agreements. make it clear if you can be expected to be ontime generally or not etc. I’m gonna work on time keeping
self-presentation overhaul (mray)
mray: want to go over how much work required for the ‘how it works page’. Might be necessary to modify the home page, and general page structure.
wolftune: I agree. Been thinking about how to best frame a pitch for snowdrift.
salt: concerned about overhaul in terms of timelines, vs how much can be done with landing page
mray: want to raise awareness of this as an issue, we are running into problems etc.
mray: It’s important to find a realistic scope of what’s feasible, who’s willing to play what role in this [development?]
wolftune: I think this question is bigger than “what do we put on the website?”. Starts with getting in touch with ourselves, “what are our goals, and motivations etc.”
msiep: sounds like a good idea but I don’t have that much capacity beyond quick checkins right now
mray: can we do next Monday?
wolftune: Sometimes group discussions are beneficial, other times 1:1. Could collect stuff bit by bit in smaller discussions
Salt: I think 1:1’s would slow this down, everyone in one space is important.
wolftune: would be helpful for mray to prepare/organize meeting
NEXT STEP (mray): set up meeting for discussion, come up with agenda
roadmap, Q2 ending etc (wolftune)
wolftune: this is the last formal meeting of this phase (see https://wiki.snowdrift.coop/planning). Next meeting (or separately planned) we should evaluate current phase and plan next
salt: we should at least have this as a topic at next meeting (first of a new quarter)
wolftune: should consider what we want to work on in the next quarter
wolftune: want to remind about goals of current quarter as we wrap up: i.e. design, cleaning up css, a guide
wolftune: want to give some friendly pressure that there’s a few days to wrap up tasks, or change
smichel: I don’t think we should change the goals for whatever phase we’re in, gives us better perspective for planning next phase. eg, if wasn’t a realistic amount of work
salt: if people wanted help succeeding on a task, they should bring it up as a topic (such as here, the last meeting of the quarter, etc)
civicrm coworking and update (Salt)
Salt: I am feeling pressure to get this done and have time, but hard to get stuff done alone.
Salt: Maybe one roadblock: live civi version is outdated, concerned about putting data in it.
wolftune: My impression: civi not being updated for new drupal version
salt: there’s a known fix, just needs to be done manually. Mixed feelings about doing sysadmin work, when the idea of OSUOSL was that we could offload it.
wolftune: let’s err on the side of giving these tasks to OSUOSL until they say they can’t handle, including this task to manually patch civi
wolftune: is this blocking all civi work for you?
Salt: All I need to do is upload a dump. Not the only blocker but close to it.
wolftune: I could help draft email to OSUOSL, “We have goal, get civi updated by end of month, we need this patched.”…
Salt: I know next steps, asking for coworking time, not help
NEXT STEP (salt, wolftune, smichel): co work on this
update availability (Salt)
salt: reminder for everyone to update, I’m waiting on one more thing before I do so, should be flexible
Salt: decide when to cut off updates and decide on new meeting time
wolftune: proposal to try for sunday and see if there are any objections
Salt: @smichel, you were doing this, don’t want to step on your toes here
smichel: I only did it b/c it needed doing, feel free to take over
Salt: one concern would be pushing this so quickly in a weekend bc people are sometimes out of town.
smichel: Adroit needs to be pinged separately since he’s not in the @team discourse group (can’t see that category)
NEXT STEP (salt): Poke people to get schedule updated by Monday
wolftune: going in the direction (away) from complex asynchronous decisions
smichel: and having more decision making in meetings
wolftune: there was good feedback about difficulties in navigating all things happening and how they are tracked on discourse
wolftune: there’s an issue with us tracking things in different places
smichel: gitlab is where it should be captured
wolftune: when there is a decision in meeting, someone could capture and follow up with those absent to see if there’s concerns
wolftune: we have to agree we are dropping the previous agreement and moving towards
NEXT STEP (wolftune): use old process to consent process decision to drop the previous arrangement and iterate on newer simpler processes
smichel: I don’t know if we need notes here.
alignwaivers: i’m filtering mostly
salt: glad photms been so active, especially on this topic
wolftune: want to make sure new process does not exclude people who aren’t at meetings
smichel: if you want a decision to be made in a meeting, can put input in beforehand.
wolftune: I think we start simpler at first, basic iteration is just in meetings, but that’s a good idea
meeting evaluation / feedback / suggestions / appreciations round
smichel: tempted to give meeting-feedback before the end, would be good to have formal note-taking coordination (knowing who is taking what); time signals (noting 1min left or time’s up)
salt: thought the meeting went pretty well all things considered: thiink there should be some flexibility for adding agenda items to the bottom with the possibility there might be time*
wolftune: felt pretty good, decent amount of back-and-forth, suspect would be better in person (missed signals)
mray: nice meeting, nice to be in touch. This format is a little too much meta (talk about talk)