The Board of Directors (currently the steering committee prior to the initial board installation) ideally meets monthly.
As of February 2019, meetings for anyone engaged with Snowdrift.coop take place every Thursday at 22:30 UTC (2:30PM Pacific). You can use a time zone converter to find the equivalent time for your location.
We’re going back to using Jitsi Meet via https://meet.jit.si/snowdrift. It offers a phone dial-in number option as well as quality/bandwidth adjustments in case we have any connection issues.
We use etherpad-lite for collaborative notes.
Fallback options we’ve used:
- Mumble (via a server one of the team members set up which isn’t publicly listed)
- Text-based meetings via IRC
Prior to each meeting
Between meetings, we discuss issues via:
In preparation for each meeting, the facilitator (with assistance of anyone else able and appropriate) will:
- Clarify the time and medium for the meeting, remind participants to help everyone prepare as needed
- Confirm availability of a quorum (at this point, a quorum is loosely whatever is enough attendance to be worthwhile to hold the meeting)
- Coordinate a rescheduled meeting if a quorum is not available
- For Board / Steering Committee meetings specifically: prepare an agenda in advance
- Confirm/assign someone as recorder for the meeting
- Mark all these details on the meeting page
The neutral facilitator runs the meeting, keeps everyone on-task, on-time, productive, respectful, etc. The facilitator does not weigh in with their own views. Other participants hold the facilitator to their role. Another neutral person works as a recorder to mark the ideas and process as the meeting goes both for long-term records and so participants can see the notes in real-time.
- Check-in round
- Each participant just takes a moment to share what’s on their mind and get focused for the meeting
- Past-meeting review
- Review the next-steps from past meeting to check on status
- Push forward any next-steps still to do
- Add to agenda any that need further discussion
- Agenda building
- Participants list items to discuss
- Discuss each agenda item
- Mark any identified next steps and assign to someone
- Check-out round
- Each participant takes a moment to comment on the meeting or otherwise just sign off
After the meeting, the facilitator and recorder should work together to summarize the meeting minutes, and update the meeting page with the next-steps decided. Next, create a new meeting page for the following meeting and include any appropriate initial notes. Send out an e-mail to the participants when the updated page is complete.
Those who missed the meeting should read through the summary and post comments as appropriate.
We need long-term systems to better manage and record meetings, but we used the wiki initially.
Past meeting minutes are filed by year here. Not all meetings have wiki pages, but we are working to revamp how we organize meetings.